When it comes to hygiene, your refrigerator is one electronic appliance that needs your most attention. Well, you store your food in it. By maintaining its hygiene and keeping it clean, you will reduce the risk of having food poisoning and other foodborne diseases. So, it’s very important that you clean your refrigerator regularly.
Nevertheless, maintaining a clean refrigerator does not have to be stressful. If you can master the habit to follow a cleaning schedule, the whole cleaning process will become much easier.
Here is an easy guide that you can adapt to keep your refrigerator clean.
Various cleaning products like cleaning wipes and sprays are available in the market. But are all of them safe for you to use to clean the inside of your refrigerator? The honest answer is, No. Only the cleaning products that have natural ingredients are safe to use. For instance, purchase a cleaning product if it has natural oil in it.
Avoid using the products that have harmful chemicals in them. Your food items mustn’t come into direct or indirect contact with these chemicals. Although you can use and rinse the product off after cleaning your refrigerator, any lingering residue of the chemicals can cause contamination. So, it’s better not to take the risk.
If you can’t find a suitable and safe cleaning product to buy, then consider making one at home. All you need is some warm water and a good dishwashing liquid or soap. Use a clean cloth or some paper towels to wipe the surfaces of your refrigerator with this combination. You can either wipe or soak the drawers.
Remember to read the instructions on the label of your cleaning product and follow them accordingly to get the best results.
Just like cleaning products, disinfecting sprays and wipes are available in the markets for you to purchase. However, a disinfectant is very similar to bleach. You shouldn’t use them inside your refrigerator. If they come into direct or indirect contact with your food, the strong chemicals can make you sick. Therefore, either use product that is safe to use or consider using natural cleaner instead.
If you can’t find a suitable cleaning product to clean the inside of your refrigerator, we recommend you to use the natural ones. They are perfectly safe to keep your refrigerator clean and chances are that you already have the products in your kitchen. Cause two of the most useful natural cleaning products are regular baking soda and white vinegar.
Baking soda is great as a stain remover. It can also be used to absorb bad odors.
White vinegar is highly useful on steel surfaces. You can use it to clean all the stainless steel elements inside your refrigerator. In case you have a refrigerator with a door of stainless steel, use white vinegar to clean it too.
Before you start, test on a small area first to check if there are any harmful effects.
After selecting your cleaning product, you can start the cleaning process. Just follow these easy steps_
● Unplug your refrigerator and empty it. Even though you are using natural cleaning products, it's better if they don’t come into any sorts of contact with your food. Besides, cleaning will be much easier with the empty surfaces and drawers.
● In case you have foods that can go bad while cleaning, work in sections. One other option is to store your perishable food items in a cooler with some ice in it.
● Take out all the parts that are removable from your refrigerator. Fill your kitchen basin with warm water and put some regular dishwashing liquid or soap in it. Then, put the removable shelves and drawers to soak there. Rinse them properly and wipe them. After that, put them back in your refrigerator.
● Now, turn your focus on the surfaces inside the refrigerator. Make a mixer of warm water and dishwashing soap. Take some paper towels or a clean cloth, soak it in the mixer and wipe down the surfaces. You can also use sponges. Good quality sponges wouldn’t easily fall apart while cleaning. Thus, your refrigerator won’t collect little particles.
● If your fridge has stains that are tough to remove, opt for using baking soda. Mix 1 quart of warm water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and make a thick paste. Apply this paste on the stain and leave it for an hour. After that, simply wipe it off with a damp cloth or sponge. The stain would come out easily as the paste would loosen it.
Maintaining a clean refrigerator requires your regular attention. Therefore, consider taking these simple yet useful preventative measures.
● Get into the habit of regularly checking through the food items. Throw out the foods and leftovers that have expired. Other food items can get contaminated because of the moldy foods and turn your whole refrigerator into a box of health hazard.
● Try to clean up the spills as soon as they occur. Spilled liquids such as milk can drip onto other foods and produce a foul smell.
● Fill a small plastic box with baking soda and keep it at the bottom of your refrigerator. The baking soda will absorb the bad smell.
● Leave the door open to let the inside of your fridge get dry. Finally, turn on your fridge and restore your foods.